The dress code reads as follows:
Dress Code and Appearance---The Yadkin County Board of Education respects a student’s right to choose his or her dress or appearance. However, the Board of Education will require that students adhere to standards of dress that are compatible with the requirement of a good school environment. All students are expected to be groomed and dressed appropriately for school and school activities. If, in the opinion of the principal or his/her designee, a student’s dress or appearance is such that it (1) disrupts the learning environment, (2) constitutes a threat to health or safety, (3) is construed as provocative or obscene, or (4) is lacking in cleanliness, the principal or the principal’s designee may require the student and student’s parent or guardian to take appropriate action to remedy the situation.
The principal shall have the authority to implement the school dress code and appearance policy in a manner that is age appropriate. Reasonable consideration will be made for those students who, because of sincerely held religious beliefs, cultural heritage, or medical reasons, request, in writing, a waiver of a particular guideline for dress or appearance. Reasonable
accommodations shall be made by the principal to accommodate students involved in special duties, activities, or projects approved by the school. This would include, but is not limited to athletics, vocational classes and projects, P.E. classes, special events, science activities/labs, or other activities that would allow for non-conforming dress.
Guidelines: All students are expected to adhere to the following guidelines.
- Shorts, skirts, and dresses should be no shorter than mid-thigh, including those worn over leggings, and applies to slits in dresses and skirts. Tops and shirts worn over leggings must be no shorter than mid-thigh.
- Sleeveless shirts, tops, and dresses that do not cover the top of the shoulder (i.e. tank tops, spaghetti straps, halters, etc.) are not allowed unless worn with a top that has sleeves.
- Shirts and tops should be long enough to cover the midriff when sitting or standing, and shirts, tops and dresses must cover the back and chest area.
- Sagging pants and pants worn below the hipbone are not allowed.
- Undergarments are not to be visible whether sitting or standing.
- Clothing is not to be sheer, mesh, have holes higher than mid-thigh, or designed in such a manner as to reveal the body or undergarments.
- Neither oversized clothing (jackets, pants, shirts, pajamas, etc.) nor tight fitting clothing (i.e. knits, spandex bicycle pants, or overly tight pants, jeans, skirts, shirts, and dresses) is allowed.
- Attire is not allowed which promotes alcoholic beverages, tobacco, the use of controlled substances, depicts violence, is of a sexual nature, is gang related, is cult related, is of a disruptive nature, or is demeaning or degrading to a particular group or individual. This includes, but is not limited to jewelry, bandanas, tee-shirts, etc.
- Appropriate footwear should be worn at all times. Shoes having laces must be laced, tied, and worn in an appropriate manner.
- Clothing must be worn appropriately (i.e. belts, nothing inside-out, backwards, rolled up pant legs, unfastened bib overall, etc.)
- Hats, caps, toboggans, bandanas, hoods and sweatbands will not be worn inside school buildings, unless they have been approved by the administration. Sunglasses will not be worn inside the school building.
- No Pajamas unless approved by the Administration.