- BIO: Cyndi Frazier Butcher grew up in Boonville where she attended Boonville Elementary and Starmount High School, graduating in 1987. In 1995 she graduated from Surry Community College with an Associate in Applied Science. In May 2003 she received her Bachelors degree in Business Administration form High Point University. Cyndi worked in financial planning at Sara Lee Hosiery before going into education. Her educational career started in August 2007 as a teacher assistant with Wilkes County Schools. Cyndi obtained her license in Elementary Education in May 2009 form Appalachian State University. In April 2015 she became the secretary/bookkeeper at Boonville Elementary School where she worked for five years before transferring to the Yadkin Early College as an administrative assistant on March 16, 2020.
Laura Faye Cave
Language Arts Department
- BIO: Laura Faye Cave is originally from Yadkin County and a graduate of Forbush High School. She received a Bachelor’s degree in English, Secondary Education at Appalachian State University in 2012. She also trained through UNC Chapel Hill's Journalism program to create and instruct the county's Virtual Academy curriculum. She underwent College Board AP training through UNC Charlotte. She values and teaches the importance of progress, determination, compassion, and connection in her English courses. During her free time, she likes to read, play with her dogs, try out new recipes, and spend time with her family.
Social Studies Department
- BIO: Blake Johnson teaches social studies and sponsors Student Council and the Quiz Bowl Team at the Yadkin Early College. He graduated from Elkin High School in 2000 and served in the Marine Corps from 2001-2007. He received a Bachelor’s in history and secondary teaching certificate from Winston-Salem State University in 2011. He now lives in Elkin with his wife, Mary, two children, dog and cat.
- BIO: Michelle Kreh teaches science and is the sponsor for the robotics teams and Red Cross blood drives at Yadkin Early College High School. She grew up in East Tennessee, graduated from Wake Forest University with a BS in biology and math in 1995, and graduated from the University of Tennessee in Knoxville with an MS in ecology in 1997. Mrs. Kreh has enjoyed the privilege of teaching at YECHS since 2008.
- BIO: Lee Mastin grew up in State Road and attended East Wilkes High School. He is a 1997 graduate of Appalachian State University with a BS in Secondary Mathematics Education. He has taught all levels of mathematics through Calculus and Physics with a particular love of Geometric Proof. In his free time he enjoys spending time with his wife, Desiree, and their two boys, listening to live local music, lifting weights, and watching football.
- BIO: Kyle Mendenhall is entering his 17th year as an Exceptional Children'sTeacher. He grew up in Davidson County and graduated in 1997 from Western Carolina University. In 2010, he received National Board Certification and renewed in 2019. In his spare time, he enjoys traveling and his schnauzer, Dylan.
Foreign Language Department
- BIO: Mrs. Sarabia is our Spanish teacher. She is originally from San Luis Potosí, Mexico, but also calls California her home since she lived there as a teen. She has a BA in Spanish with a minor in Business Administration from Winston-Salem State University. Mrs. Sarabia has worked in our school system for about twelve years. Prior to teaching Spanish at the YEC, she worked in the ESL Department at Yadkinville Elementary School. She is passionate about sharing the culture and traditions from Spanish speaking countries and hopes to break stereotypes and misconceptions about these countries and their people. She hopes her students can become more appreciative, inclusive and accepting of other people and their cultures through the language and culture exposure they get in her classes. Mrs. Sarabia enjoys spending time with family and traveling whenever possible.
School Counselor/Student Advisor
- BIO: Kara Slawter is the school counselor at Yadkin Early College High School. Slawter received her undergraduate degree in Psychology and American Studies through Salem College. Slawter completed her graduate degree in School Counseling at Appalachian State University. Over the past decade Slawter has worked in rural Piedmont counties with first generation college students to improve their access to post-secondary education and job opportunities.
Language Arts/Social Studies Departments
- BIO: Emily Williams grew up, and currently lives, in Hamptonville, N.C. She attended West Yadkin Elementary, and she graduated from Starmount High School in 2002. She spent two years at Surry Community College, and from there she transferred to Appalachian State in January of 2005. Emily majored in History, Secondary Education, and she graduated from Appalachian State University in 2007 with her Bachelor of Arts degree. She is dually licensed to teach English and History in grades 9-12, and English and History in grades 6-8. Emily has been teaching since August of 2007, and she has been at the Early College since the Fall of 2011.
- BIO: Edgar Zamora has taught mathematics at Yadkin Early College for the past eight years. Mr. Zamora graduated from Starmount High School in 2007 and received his B.S. in Secondary Mathematics Education from Appalachian State University in 2011. As an active member of the North Carolina Council for Teachers of Mathematics, Mr. Zamora earned the recognition as the Yadkin County Schools District Teacher of the Year in 2017. Mr. Zamora serves Yadkin Early College in the capacities of Early College Cup sponsor, MathCounts coach, YCS Teacher Leader, and as a member of the School Improvement Team. Mr. Zamora believes in serving his students as much as possible in order to promote a positive high school experience that prepares them for college and the real world. At home, Mr. Zamora is a family man. Married to Elizabeth, Mr. Zamora enjoys raising his four children and supporting F.C. Barcelona as a lifelong fan.