- BIO: Cyndi Frazier Butcher grew up in Boonville where she attended Boonville Elementary and Starmount High School, graduating in 1987. In 1995 she graduated from Surry Community College with an Associate in Applied Science. In May 2003 she received her Bachelors degree in Business Administration form High Point University. Cyndi worked in financial planning at Sara Lee Hosiery before going into education. Her educational career started in August 2007 as a teacher assistant with Wilkes County Schools. Cyndi obtained her license in Elementary Education in May 2009 from Appalachian State University. In April 2015 she became the secretary/bookkeeper at Boonville Elementary School where she worked for five years before transferring to Yadkin Early College as an administrative assistant on March 16, 2020.
Laura Faye Cave
Language Arts Department
- BIO: Laura Faye Cave is originally from Yadkin County and a graduate of Forbush High School. She received a Bachelor’s degree in English, Secondary Education at Appalachian State University in 2012. She also trained through UNC Chapel Hill's Journalism program to create and instruct the county's Virtual Academy curriculum. She underwent College Board AP training through UNC Charlotte. She values and teaches the importance of progress, determination, compassion, and connection in her English courses. During her free time, she likes to read, play with her dog, try out new recipes, and spend time with her family.
BIO: Morgan Collins is from Yadkin County and attended Yadkinville Elementary School, Forbush Middle School, and Yadkin Early College High School. She graduated from YEC in 2018 and has returned to join the staff as a mathematics teacher. After earning her A.A. degree from Surry Community College while in high school, she attended High Point University to earn her Bachelor's in Mathematics, as well as a teaching license. She has previously taught in WSFCS but is glad to be back home. Mrs. Collins lives in Pfafftown with her husband, a fellow graduate of YEC and high school sweetheart, as well as their two energetic dogs. She is excited to rejoin Interact Club as the facilitator to continue her passion of serving others.
Social Studies Department
- BIO: Blake Johnson teaches social studies and sponsors Student Council and the Quiz Bowl Team at the Yadkin Early College. He graduated from Elkin High School in 2000 and served in the Marine Corps from 2001-2007. He received a Bachelor’s in history and secondary teaching certificate from Winston-Salem State University in 2011. He now lives in Elkin with his wife, Mary, two children, dog and cat.
- BIO: Chris Lyon is a native of Wilkes County where he grew up in the Traphill community, near Stone Mountain State Park. He attended Appalachian State University, graduating with a bachelors degree in business administration. Mr. Lyon worked in sales, management, and finance before going into the field of education. Mr. Lyon started as a teacher at Boonville and Courtney Elementary Schools before moving into administration. He served as assistant principal and then principal at West Yadkin Elementary School prior to moving to a district level position as the Executive Director of Human Resources for Yadkin County Schools. Mr. Lyon returned to the principalship in 2019 and enjoys being at the Early College where he has the opportunity to help the students and school grow to meet their fullest potential. Mr. Lyon has lived in Yadkin County since 1994 and now lives with his wife Tori, who is also a teacher, and their 2 children. He is an avid sports fan who enjoys cheering on his beloved Appalachian State Mountaineers during football season and the UNC Tarheels during basketball season. He spends most of his time away from school working around his house or relaxing at the lake and is an active member of his local church.
Foreign Language Department
- BIO: Mrs. Sarabia is our Spanish teacher. She is originally from San Luis Potosí, Mexico, but also calls California her home since she lived there as a teen. She has a BA in Spanish with a minor in Business Administration from Winston-Salem State University. Mrs. Sarabia has worked in our school system since 2005. Prior to teaching Spanish at the YEC, she worked in the ESL Department at Yadkinville Elementary School. She is passionate about sharing the culture and traditions from Spanish speaking countries and hopes to break stereotypes and misconceptions about these countries and their people. She hopes her students can become more appreciative, inclusive and accepting of other people and their cultures through the language and culture exposure they get in her classes. Mrs. Sarabia enjoys spending time with family and traveling whenever possible.
School Counselor/Student Advisor
- BIO: Kara Slawter is the school counselor at Yadkin Early College High School. Slawter received her undergraduate degree in Psychology and American Studies through Salem College. Slawter completed her graduate degree in School Counseling at Appalachian State University. Over the past decade Slawter has worked in rural Piedmont counties with first generation college students to improve their access to post-secondary education and job opportunities.
- BIO: Kelsey Weathers teaches with the Exceptional Children Department at Yadkin Early College. She is from a small town in Virginia, called Saltville. Kelsey graduated from Northwood High School in 2012. Kelsey began her college career at Virginia Highlands Community College. Then, she transferred to The University of Virginia's College at Wise from 2013-2017. She graduated with her Liberal Arts and Sciences Degree, with an added endorsement in Special Education K-12, and a concentration in Language Arts. Kelsey began her teaching career in Yadkin County, in 2018, at Fall Creek Elementary School. In 2022, Kelsey moved schools to teach at Yadkin Early College and Yadkin Success Academy as their Exceptional Children's Teacher. Kelsey's educational belief is to see the ability in every student and not focus on the "disability." Kelsey resides in Hamptonville with her husband, baby, and 2 dogs. She enjoys spending time with family, traveling, and going on outdoor adventures.
Language Arts/Social Studies Departments
- BIO: Emily Williams teaches English Language Arts and History at Yadkin Early College High School. She is a 2002 graduate of Starmount High School. Emily has a BA in History, Secondary Education from Appalachian State University. She is licensed to teach English Language Arts and History in grades 6-12. Emily began her teaching career in 2007, and she has taught at Yadkin Early College High School since 2011. She resides in Boonville with her husband of 14 years and their two daughters. Emily spends her free time working with her horses and animals on their farm, supporting her daughters at their sporting events and camping with family on the New River in Virginia.
- BIO: Jody Wingler is from Yadkin County and attended Yadkinville Elementary School and Forbush High School. In 1995 she earned a certificate in Medical Assisting. After getting married in 1996 and having 2 sons she stayed at home before she became a Teacher Assistant at Yadkinville Elementary School in 2007. Mrs Wingler came to Yadkin Early College in January of 2023. She enjoys spending time fishing and being outdoors with her family and dogs.